Engeny Melbourne Celebrates 10 Years
2020 marks the 10 year anniversary of Engeny Water Management’s Melbourne Office.
The Early Days
Engeny was born during the peak of the Global Financial Crisis and has soared against the odds to become a leader in water engineering. Engeny founder, George Khouri, had a vision which was birthed in 2008 starting with a team of two working in a small office in the Brisbane, and expanded to include a Melbourne location in 2010. From humble beginnings, with Andrew Prout and Scott Dunn at the helm, the Melbourne office quickly grew as a direct result of the recruitment of young and talented engineers. Ten years on from the Melbourne office opening, and the Engeny family has grown to over 90 people across the Brisbane, Melbourne and Newcastle offices. This success has been based on the following solid fundamentals which were embedded in the first business plan and carried Engeny to our current success. These include:
- Establish adequate systems and governance
- Every aspect of the business is built around client needs
- Performance based culture built upon a shared ownership structure (ie; currently more than 85% of staff have ownership of the business)
- Clear KPI, expectation, clear company strategy own by staff.
Great Milestones Achieved
Within these last 10 years the Engeny Melbourne office has achieved some great milestones such as:
- Prequalified / panel positions with major Victoria government authorities including Melbourne Water, VPA, VicRoads and a large number of local governments
- Winner of Stormwater Victoria 2019 People’s Choice Award Winner for the Integrated Stormwater Management Strategy for the Casey Western Port Green Wedge (City of Casey)
- Finalist in the 2018 Stormwater Victoria Excellence Awards and also a finalist in the 2017 Keep Victoria Beautiful Sustainable Cities Awards Detailed for the Ryans Creek naturalisation project (City of Melton)
- Outgrown two offices and now working in our third office based in the CBD
- Expanded into detailed design and construction supervision of complex drainage systems, levee /embankments, retarding basins, WSUD / stormwater harvesting systems
The Team and Culture
This achievement would not have been possible without the great and highly valued team at Engeny. We believe that teamwork, camaraderie, diversity and respect are the foundations of our success and the positive culture that has developed is testament to these values. We understand that a company is only as good as its people, which is why we promote staff empowerment and ownership, and support individuals to be the best they can be. It’s this culture that sees the team strive for the best results for our clients and stakeholders.
We understand that without our clients, we don’t have a business. We believe that by working in partnership with our clients we become an extension of their business. This results in our team providing the best possible value to our clients by understanding their challenges and developing smarter solutions to achieve positive and value adding outcomes. The success of our approach is evident by our strong client retention and we appreciate the support of our clients over the past ten years.
From humble beginnings, Engeny is riding the wave of success with strong organic growth, extremely low staff turnover and sustained financial growth every year. We will continue to put our clients first, without losing focus on the importance of a happy and healthy workplace culture.